Tuesday 2 April 2013

Cape Town-Living and Zimbabwe-holiday-ing

Cape Town-living is beyond perfect.

I have never felt so happy and so free. There is always so much going on in the City of Cape Town. Every night, there are, on average, three different places to go to/ things happening - even on the weekdays. The party never ever stops - and seriously, what is better than a never-ending party when you're 19 and taking the world by a storm?

However, at the moment, I am not in Cape Town. I am in Zimbabwe for the first time in 3 years, and this, too, makes me very, very happy. Because my Academy's vacation-timing is a little off-balance with the rest of South Africa's University vacations, I only had one weekend in Zimbabwe with my friends who live here before they all went back to their respective Universities in South Africa, and because my family and I were spending Easter weekend at Lake Kariba, and because I begged them to leave on Saturday morning instead of Friday afternoon, I actually only had 1 night with them - and, of course, it was a memorable night indeed.

It was memorable because of the fact I was running on a total of 1.5 hours sleep - even 2 hours would be pushing it. The Thursday night before I left for Zim, myself and a few friends had our last night out in Cape Town before returning after Easter. We went out only to have brought more friends back to my apartment. Everyone cleared out by 3h30, I managed to get into bed for a few minutes before it was 4h00 and we had to start getting up, showered and packed for our flight to Johannesburg at 6h00. We (because I flew with a friend) had a 2 hour flight to Joburg, a 5 hour wait in Joburg before our 1 hour and 45 minute flight to Zimbabwe. Upon arriving in Zimbabwe, I had a few minutes to change at home before we were off to a friend's braai and from the braai, we were off clubbing again and by 7h00 I was  back in the car, on the way to Kariba.

I just got back from (I don't fish, you see. I find it boring, sitting and waiting for a bite on the end of your hook which is more than likely not to come at all, and I feel sorry for the fish.)
Kariba, actually. It was such a beautiful weekend. I realised there actually is nothing better than lying at the front of a speedboat, under the hot sun, tanning with a book in your hands.

I've been reading The Innocent Man by John Grisham - an author I absolutely love. Unfortunately, I'm finding this book a little hard to get into and I was scared I wasn't going to finish it by the end of March, and so I would be behind on number 22 of my Life List: read one book a month for a year. However, I found mom's copy of The Fault In Our Stars by John Green on Friday and I managed to finish it on Sunday morning - how is that for good timing? I'm still ploughing through with John Grisham, but TFIOS was a beautiful book that had me in tears at the end. (This is the third book this year that has had me in tears, and each time I have finished each book, I have been with my dad. "You must stop reading this books, Noo Noo!" my dad says. Every. Time.)

Since I'm obsessed with quotes, I wrote down some quotes from TFIOS that swept me off my feet and made my heart swell in the way only beautiful words can. Here are some of them [no spoilers]:

I thought being an adult meant knowing what you believe, but that has not been my experience.


I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. Im in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into a void, and that oblivion in inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labour has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.

I thought of my dad telling me that the universe wants to be noticed. But what we want is to be noticed by the universe, to have the universe give a shit what happens to us - not the collective idea of sentient life, but each of us, as individuals.

Lovely, no?

Also, have I mentioned that  I'M GOING TO AMSTERDAM AND GERMANY IN JULY? 

If you've got any sort of travel tips, stories, places to go to, places to avoid, activities to do it would be much appreciated if you could send me an email, leave a comment or if you will be in either places at such a time, it would be lovely to meet up.



Above: a picture from our Lion's Head Full Moon Hike last month. Table Mountain stands to the right of this picture, and it had the biggest cloud-blanket I have ever seen over it. It was beautiful. If this doesn't want to make you move to/ visit Cape Town, you should just... I don't know. Get out. Get out right now.

3 comments:

Alex, Speaking Denglish said...

Wow, sounds like things have been fantastic!! And YOUR TRIP - SOOO EXCITING! Where in Germany are you going??

Nicole said...

Oh oh oh! Sorry for suuuuuch a late reply - I've been totally MIA lately! Things have been MORE than fantastic :) as for the trip... WAY too excited! I'm going to Hannover! Apparently a quiet, cultural city, but nevertheless - Germany. Plus, I plan on taking a train from Amsterdam to Hannover, so I will get to see everything in between :)

Nicole said...

And now I am first going to Cologne, Germany and then on to Hannover...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...