Thursday 17 January 2013

The Highs And The Lows Of Moving Up And On

I don't know what it is about living on your own, but, in my opinion, you certainly learn more about yourself than you ever did before. Seriously. I feel like I have gotten to know myself better in almost 3 weeks than I ever did in the whole 18 years and 11 months before this while I still lived at home.

Maybe it's because you have only yourself to depend on. Maybe it's because, this time, you really do have to pay attention to how the washing machine works because, well, you actually have to do the laundry.

This all sounds very pathetic to someone who has been doing this for a good few years of their life - I understand this. I also know that a few of my friends who are the same age as me have been doing this for a few years back at home. I was (am) fortunate enough to have a mom who has dedicated her entire life to my sister and I. She will never know how grateful I am for the most incredible childhood she has given me. I am also extremely proud of her, and again, extremely grateful, and I strongly admire her strength in bravery, especially yesterday, when she had to leave Cape Town behind, along with my sister in boarding school and me in my apartment (soon to be starting varsity). I can imagine it is never easy to watch your children have to start a whole new life on their own, and it's even harder not being able to help them, as you have done for 18 years. I know I have yet to understand my mom's feelings even better when I have kids of my own someday. (Someday being the operative word here - like, waaaay in the future).

I felt a bit low yesterday when my parents left. I vegetated on the couch for a bit, watching White Collar. I didn't even make myself a proper lunch. I just threw some tinned things together. It didn't last long - after a couple of hours I was back on my feet, running errands and I even went to see a movie by myself. I realised, and I have said a few times to mom, yes - I am going to be sad. Yes - my sister is going to be sad. There are going to be times when I crawl into the foetal position on my floor and wish my mom was with me to look after me when I'm sick, or just help me with all this housework. Even my mom still wishes her mom was with her when she is sick - I don't think we ever stop needing our moms. The sadness and the helplessness is inevitable. It is all part of leaving home and growing up.

However, there is also the positivity and the excitement that is all a part of growing up. I can't think of a better place to be lonely in than Cape Town. You honestly can't stay sad for more than a day in this city. It is way too beautiful and there is way too much to do. I've promised myself that whenever I'm feeling a little down, I will look at the mountain from my balcony and remind myself that there is so much to smile about.

Have you left home recently? Have you gone through a major change in the last couple of years? Are you in your late-twenties, having left home years ago? What challenges did you face? I'd love to hear.

P.S. If you haven't yet done so, check out my fitness and health blog here.

2 comments:

Alex, Speaking Denglish said...

We all have those moments - but the great thing about living alone, you can crawl up in that fetal position and be yourself and let out whatever. You're in for an exciting adventure and you'll be loving the independence of it all very soon!

vannessienoo said...

I love you so much, Noo and while you are thinking I am so brave, I am thinking that you and Lor are the bravest people I know. There cant be too many kids who have gone from being with their Mom 24/7 to suddenly being a whole country apart, and coping with not only that, but with every new experience that life is flinging at you at the moment.

I love you and I admire you and I am so very very proud of you.

And I miss you more than you will ever know.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...