Saturday 1 September 2012

Another Exam-Frenzy...

... what?! I mean... tooootally studying...

I started yoga yesterday at a place called the Haum of Yoga. I've seen the sign post for it, and I've been dying to try it out - I just never got around to it until my fitness-health-freak-of-a-best-friend got us both up off our lazy asses. I loved it, and although I can't feel it as much as she can this morning, I can feel the stretch in my legs when I walk. Or wash. In the shower. Anyway...



So here's a question I have for all you bloggers who have spent the majority of your independent life traveling - how do you do it?

I currently have ten blogs bookmarked that are all about travel, and each belongs to a twenty-something blogger and those are only the ones I have bookmarked - I have visited so many others! They all travel, and have been doing so for a while. It is my ultimate dream to travel all over the world - and that's not exaggeration. I've travelled before - sure. I've been to:


  • England (more than a few times)
  • France (on a school-tour in 2009)
  • Australia
  • Zambia (I lived there)
  • Zimbabwe (obviously - I was born there)
  • Monaco (spent the day there on French tour in 2009 as mentioned above)
  • Tanzania (beautiful)
  • Mauritius


Thus, it is fair to say that I have travelled, but not as I would like to travel. I feel like I'm acting like a spoilt-kid but, firstly, because I haven't ever been old enough to really take in my surroundings. I went to France when I was fifteen, and I always say that I wish I had gone when I was older.

The problem is that all these holidays were because of my dad's hard-work which provided us with the money to travel and for that I am eternally grateful. But I'm not going to be living off my dad's money forever. Next year I move into my own apartment, I start my first year studying at a tertiary institution and I start my own independent life. I have a small job now as a part-time driver for a friend's brother, and it pays well and I'm saving the money for (a new idea of mine that I came up with the other day) a holiday to Brazil in 2014 for the FIFA World Cup (before I was just saving because I can) - but it hardly allows me an annual holiday of my own. But here I read about people who live in a different city every year, or will travel to multiple countries within a year.

Perhaps one of the most inspiring people I look up to is Adventurous Kate, someone I have been following for a while now. She travels the world for six months, and lives at home in England for another six months. Or another - someone I just found today - Expat Edna who lives in a different city every year while maintaining a career, and being engaged to someone who doesn't even travel with her.

My other concern is also what career path to take. I get bored very easily, my back gets sore when I sit for too long and I hate routine. I am studying fitness next year - it's an amazing course - which will allow me to work on cruise ships if I choose to go that route, but I want to go on to study and graduate with a degree. I'm interested in law, marketing, fitness, health, beauty, nutrition - general wellbeing. But what will allow me to travel? And as a student - how do you earn enough money to travel the world as I have read in so many blogs?

Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. As a student-traveler, I know it won't be a life of luxury and I'm not looking for that. I am looking for experience, people and culture - not a huge hotel bed in which you can find yourself lost in its fluffy, white duvet. If the experience, people and culture means I have to sleep in a dorm with other travelers and sacrifice meals - I welcome it whole-heartedly.

There is a world out there that I have no choice but to see before my dying-day. I crave it. So, I ask you, how do you do it?



In other news: today marked the first day of Spring in South Africa and I love it. I love the sun and I could spend all day in it. I have spent the morning in it, but unfortunately it is distracting me from my studies. First World Pains.



And on that note - back to the books.

(And just for a bit of extra information - that photo on being 22, physically fit and hungry? Yeah. I had to dig through 1777 photo's on my iPad to find that. 1777!!!!! Courtesy of my 9GAG obsession - that was your first guess, right?)

1 comment:

The Management said...

I need to travel so much more, too.... I feel like I haven't been ANYWHERE. More travel is a huge goal of mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...