Tuesday 13 November 2012

Alcohol - always a good time

Guess what I just booked myself in for on Saturday?

A tour at the SAB World of Beer. Yes, friends, this is happening.

I've recently taking to drinking beer after a wonderful experience with it a couple of months ago. I've also taken to suppressing the health-freak inside of me that reminds me that every time I drink one beer, I am also eating one loaf of bread. Hush, little freak, hush.

This is also something to add to my Project Joburg - something I have been falling short on, unfortunately. However, I probably have about a month left in Joburg before I pack up and move to Cape Town (I'm thinking mid-December is a decent time to move - in order to get the stress out of the way so that I can enjoy my December holidays elsewhere in the world). Having a month left in this place that I have lived for eight years, I have a couple of things planned, including this SAB World of Beer Tour.

The tour sounds quite fascinating.

Photo source

  • A digital surround-sound welcome by Charles Glass, found of South Africa's very own beer, Castle Lager.
  • An education on ancient times and their involvements with beer. For example, the ancient world's offering of beer to the gods.
  • Meeting Nobantu, a fine beer maker in a small African village, and listening to her as she shows you how to brew sorgum beer which can be sampled after the show.



As well as learning about...
  • The arrival of beer in South Africa.
The part I'm probably the most excited for...
  • A step into the world of a Sowetan Shebeen.
But wait, I spoke too soon...
  • And after the tour has come to a finish, you can sit back and enjoy the view and experience of Newtown with a complementary glass of beer (or two) in hand.







Quite the show it seems, doesn't it? Alcohol - always a good time.

2 comments:

Alex, Speaking Denglish said...

I always love doing beer tours. Or wine tours. Or whiskey tastings. Yeah, I agree. Alcohol is a good time.

Nicole said...

Hmm - a wine tour! It's the saddest thing because I don't like wine and I really wish I did. Nevertheless, it's on my list of things to do in Cape Town next. I'm hoping it's an acquired taste.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...