Wednesday 19 December 2012

Approaching a Milestone

I remember a few months ago I had a countdown for every exciting event that was going to take place in the next six months of my life. It's crazy to look back at that now, and think that every single event that I was looking forward to has now come and gone.

I have finished my mock exams. I have had my Matric Dance. I have had my two year anniversary. I went to Afrojack. I have finished my final exams. I came back from my matric VAC a little over a week ago. Now I am facing the next big stage in my life, and probably the biggest one in years to come: I am moving to Cape Town and starting my indepedent student life.

It's been a crazy December. On the first of the month, as mentioned, I left to Durban with all thirteen girls in my group of friends. We stayed at a guest-house, spent every day on the beach, and spent every evening into the early morning in some club that every matriculant was gathering at that night to drink and dance until sunrise.

Since I have been back, I've been enjoying my mom's home-cooked meals, trying to cure myself of VAC-flu (a common thing at this time of the year) and losing myself in the bliss of having absolutely nothing to do after the hardest year of my life (so far).

In the last few days, my life has been all about moving to the beautiful city of Cape Town. A transport company came and collected my car this afternoon, and tomorrow I'm packing my bedroom up into boxes and sending it off to meet me in my new home. I've been so excited - so, so excited. I haven't even stopped to think about what this all means, and what I am leaving behind. I am been so focused on what is in front of me. Some may argue that's a good thing - but I'm forgetting to relish what matters in my daily life now...

... until the other day. I can't remember what it was that brought the reality of my move to my attention, but when it happened, the tears, of course, flowed. Now I am busy trying to see all of the people who won't be in Cape Town next year, spending time in my home, and with my incredible mom who won't find letting me go easy - on any level. I keep looking at the small things in my life now with tears in my eyes, because no matter how excited I am, this house I live in now has been my home for eight years, and all the most significant moments and years of my life have been spent here.

Though, not wanting to cry too much, I've been thinking forward to next Saturday. My plane lands at 11h40 after which I will meet the estate agent with the keys to my apartment. I will wait for my belongings and car to be dropped off with me. I will do my first grocery shop of my own, and I will go to the beach. I cannot emphasise how often I will be going to the beach next year. Plus - the beaches of Cape Town? There really is nothing better.

P.S. I'm got my man back in my life, and I've never been happier. Life was never the same without him. I guess sometimes you do have to be without something (or in this case - someone) to know how much better your life actually was with it (or in this case - him) and how much you took for granted.

2 comments:

Alex, Speaking Denglish said...

best wishes on your new adventure!

Nicole said...

Thank you so much :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...