Wednesday 22 August 2012

If you're the Smartest Person in the Room

I make a point to surround myself with people who challenge me on a daily basis. Just like that quotation, "if you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room."

A couple of years ago, I remember my mom telling me about an article she read on Sandra Bullock who spoke of the same thing - "Always choose people who are better than you. Always choose people that challenge you and are smarter than you. Always be the student." I don't know if I formed the basis of my opinion and growing-self on what my mom told me that day, but I stand behind her belief and strong in my own belief. There is so much to know and learn from the world. There is so much about history, current affairs, culture and the world in general that you will never know, because life is too short and there is far too much information out there. That saddens me, but if I can make a point to better myself as much as I can, and learn as much as I can in my short time here on earth, then I will be content.


I find that, sometimes, we don't realize that we are standing next to one of the greatest people on earth. One of the best things about being at one school for so long, and finishing school with the same group of people, is that you one day find that one of your first friends in grade four turned out to be one of the most challenging, deepest people to ever stand beside you. You can hardly believe that that kid then, is this adult now. It astounds me.


This reverie is for a purpose. One of my dearest friends, Busang Senne, wrote a blog post a couple of days ago that I just read this morning. I am still sitting here in wonder, and I just had to share it because it is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. It is beautiful in every sense of the world.


You can find her blog post here.



2 comments:

The Management said...

all of this is very true, and it's very sweet of you to have spotlighted your friend's post.

So glad I've finally made my way over to your blog- let's be blogging buds!

Nicole said...

Oh, you're lovely. I just posted a new post - you're part of the inspiration for it ;) go look!

I'd love to be blogging buds. **retarded squeal**

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...