Sunday 5 August 2012

The Beauty of Tragedy


I saw a post on 9GAG the other day - and yes, I do realize that this is the umpteenth time I've started a train of thought with the words "I saw this post on 9GAG..." - which questioned why so many Marilyn Monroe quotes are used by so many girls in this day-and-age. 

The argument stated that she doesn't have any remotely inspiring attributes about her, and this was the substantiation: she was depressed most of her life, she died of a drug-overdose and she had affairs with multiple men. While I can understand where this argument is coming from, I don't think she is  frequently quoted because these are admirable factors that we have learned about the story of her life. I think she is quoted because of the beauty behind her tragedy.

I find myself drawn to the story of this 20th century persona in particular, yet I am far from popping lines of drugs, having affairs with married men and spending my day-to-day life depressed. If we think of the world, what do we find ourselves and our neighbors looking towards the most? Tragedy. Given examples can be as old as Romeo and Juliet to the present-day Heath Ledger life-story.

Why is the world like this? I cannot say. Is it because we find comfort in the sadness of the world? Are we eager to take on such an idea because it betters us? Do we do it for selfish reasons?

Whatever the conclusion is drawn from, I have to step back and reject the idea that there is idiocracy found in the fact we find such tragedies inspiring enough to follow in such paths. It is simply the beauty behind these people and their stories that stand out among the rest.

2 comments:

bobbi said...

I have to agree with you that I don't think girls find Monroe quotes inspiring because they they think that depression is awesome, it's the aura and mystique more than anything. As for the tragedy aspect, I'm guessing that that is tapping into the same pull that reality television has on people. Love this line of thought though, you have me pouring a glass of wine and reflecting...love that in a blog :)

Nicole said...

I completely agree. Many things are fascinating, but not because they're inspiring in the way that we wish to adapt to be like them. Another example is existensialism, or dadaism, which I've just been studying for an exam next week. Both subjects are fascinating - hard to understand, but fascinating - but I still believe in positivity above all else. A comment from such an inspiring blogger made my day - thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...