Saturday 2 June 2012

Woza Albert!

The first mission for PROJECT JOBURG. Status: accomplished.



Mission: A trip to The Market Theatre in town, to watch the play Woza Albert! which we have studied this year in drama. It is an incredibly emotionally moving play - one that focuses around the question: what would happen if Jesus (Morena) returned to Apartheid South Africa? Theatre, and this production specifically, brings to life that which we have been learning for years in the confines of the history classroom.

Before the play, my family and I, and a friend and her family, went for dinner at the very South African restaurant Sophiatown (ironically - another play we studied this year). It really dug deep into my soul and made me very proudly South African; from platters of South African meat, to African soul singers that played and sang louder than the volume of our voices, forcing us to shout to each other, and eventually give in to listen to the sounds of South Africa, Johannesburg. It was a beautiful evening at one of my favourite places in Joburg - one of the places I am going to miss the most.



From left to right
1. The restaurant sign - Sophiatown
2. The menu
3. The platters and my Caipirinha (throwing a bit of Brazilian in there)
4. The literature version of our meal
5. African singers - one of the essentially- South Africa arts
6. Everything is written in stone
7. The walkway in stone
8. My sister and the epitome of the South African man
9. My personal favourite - The Nelson Mandela bridge. At night. How wonderful.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...